Tuesday, July 14, 2009

It's Fall, Y'all!

Well, I guess it is officially Fall now! I went to the Dollar Store yesterday and they had scarecrows up. Then I got my JoAnn's Fabric and Crafts sale brochure in the mail and they also displayed scarecrows and even pumpkin crafts! I guess it will be Christmas in September! To me this is just plain nutty (the way we plan so far ahead in advance). I want to tell the world to stop doing this. Enjoy the month of July for what it is - don't be planning or even doing Fall craft projects. Guess what, world? Live for now because you really don't know what will be happening tomorrow.

As morbid as it seems, since my husband's death I stopped doing such things in advance because of the lesson I learned of life being so unpredictable. I remember thinking, why should I spend all this time and effort when I may not even be around six months from now? Of course, some long-term planning is needed and necessary in our lives but why are we always finishing up a season while we're still in the middle of it? Rushing ahead to the next? For what reason? Why?

We all need to slow down and stop planning our lives in such minute details. To reflect on the joys of July, the exact moment we are in. I almost am tempted to put up a scarecrow for the sheer stupidity of it. On the other hand, this is a grim reminder to me that life does move on quickly and with certainty, whether I'm ready to catch up with it or not! Anyway, enough of my ranting and raving about this. Let's all just live and enjoy life right now - even those of us struggling with life transitions.

Today I am grateful:

1. For cold pickled beets.
2. For cold green beans.
3. For cold chicken salad.
4. For tomatoes.
5. For corn bread (I guess you know what we're having for dinner tonight - a perfect SUMMER meal).

2 comments:

  1. i had to go to a Michael's today for embroidery floss, a bag of fake moss and butterflies to make my daughter's ring pillow for her wedding. when it's finished i'll take a photo and put it up on my blog. anyway, yeah, i see all the fall leaves and pumpkins and skulls and ravens. so i caved to the impulse and my love of Poe and bought a small little raven. but other than that, it's summer all the way.

    God, i love corn bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is crazy buying Halloween items in July - I am trying to stay out of Michael's because I usually see something I want. I have told myself that I can only use yarn from my stash for all future projects (we'll see how long that lasts!).

    Your ring pillow sounds very nice and creative. It helps me to focus on crafts that I make for others. I look forward to seeing the completed project in the picture.

    I have a fondness for crows for some reason and have one sitting on a shelf in my kitchen so I hope you enjoy your little raven!

    ReplyDelete