Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day 2009 vs. 2008

Mother's Day 2008 -

1. Received a mega-size bottle and gift set of Calvin Klein Euphoria perfume from my then husband and a huge over-sized card from the boys (probably 30 inches tall at least).
2. Spent the entire day antiquing out in country with hubby and the boys - on the lookout for colored Hobnail glass and we ended up adding a number of pieces to the collection we were building together (when we divorced he ended up with the collection).
3. Lunch/dinner at a favorite restaurant that serves famous blueberry pancakes. We also had big ice cream concoctions.
4. I was gearing up to move 120 miles away and to another state to be with my husband.

Mother's Day 2009 -

1. My gift is a book on knitting/felting I purchased myself, after using a number of coupons to bring the cost well down from $30.00.
2. Worked from 10 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
3. Treated self and boys to dinner at a local place where I could use a coupon. We haven't been out to eat since August! We splurged and had an appetizer. Then got Dairy Queen afterward.
4. Received phone messages/calls from three friends wishing me a Happy Mother's Day but no such call from my sister. One friend referred to me as one of the best mothers in the world! That was nice to hear.
5. Am gearing up to move to an apartment and hoping to sell the house before having to leave because of the foreclosure.
6. Am divorced and now get to have both the labels of widow and divorcee as badges of honor!

The moral of the story = life can drastically change in an instant. But somehow the day was salvaged to not be too gloomy.

Today I am grateful:

1. For my handsome, athletic, popular boys who make me so proud.
2. That I have somehow managed to keep it somewhat together, if at least for the sake of the boys.
3. For the thoughtfulness of my friends.
4. For having the money to afford a dinner out (what a splurge!).
5. That my boys have managed to grow and thrive, despite facing adversity and hardship.

No comments:

Post a Comment