Sunday, January 4, 2009

Pickles

Today, I went to the store for ground turkey and frozen french fries. I planned to make Sloppy Joe sandwiches because I had the sauce mix in the pantry, canned corn and some cheddar cheese. The store I went to sells ground turkey from the meat counter for only $2.19 a pound, which is less than the $3.49 per pound I pay at the main chain stores. As I went through the store, I could not remember if we had dill pickle slices in the refrigerator. When we have Sloppy Joes we have to have pickle slices topping them! I figured that I could pick up a small jar of pickles but changed my mind when the only jars available were larger sized for $3.00. Although disappointed, I figured we'd be o.k. with just cheese as a topping. Picking out the bag of fries, I chose the cheapest one at $1.69.

When I got home I rummaged through the entire frige and on the top shelf in the back located a full jar of pickles! Our main meal was saved and I was grateful I hadn't given in and spent $3.00 on the jar at the store. To round out our meal, I cooked the corn along with a can of cheap pork & beans and for some reason they tasted more delicious than I've ever remembered them tasting. I suppose it doesn't take much to please when you don't have a lot of options to choose from. We made do and it was fine.

Tonight it'll be cereal if anyone is hungry. This week's goal is to clean out the pantry/freezer and use up what's there before getting anything at the store. I am feeling challenged at seeing how many meals I can concoct out of eggs and turkey hot dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment