Thursday, January 8, 2009

More thoughts on hair cuts

As I admired my great looking hair today, (I may be poor but at least my hair looks good), I thought about how this subject relates to so much more in life, specifically in regard to poverty. Although I was trying to be conscientious by not getting my hair cut to save money, this tactic was actually detrimental. Having straggly hair meant I was having to use more product to style it as well as more time to do so. I also wasn't getting that lift you feel when you look in the mirror and know that you're looking good. This same principal can be applied elsewhere. When you're scrimping for funds there is nothing left over to keep up the house and by the time repairs can be made they end up being more costly and difficult. Not being able to replace clothing means having to mend them (which takes time) as well as looking shabbier. I put off going to the doctor for my routine checkup and I am thankful that there were no problems because if there had been it would have been worse because of the time I had waited. The same could be said for car maintenance. I'm not sure what the solution is because when you don't have money you don't have money. Maybe it is just to be aware that sometimes you have to spend money to save money and to not feel guilty for getting a hair cut or buying one of the boys a new pair of jeans because you are sick of mending them!

Today I am thankful:

1. That my boys and I are healthy.
2. That my van with 96,000 miles is still running pretty decently.
3. That I have a number of very close, dear girlfriends who have supported me during my dark times and been there for me when no one else was.

No comments:

Post a Comment