Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas 2009

From A Child's Calendar by John Updike. This poem's last line gets me choked up every time I read it. For me, it signifies and sums up so much of how I feel right now. This past year held so much change, hardship and stress for my family. It is impossible to look back and not feel the pain of 2009. And yet when I read this poem first published in 1965, I somehow feel some restoration and dare I say it, HOPE.

December

First Snow! The flakes,
So few, so light,
Remake the world
In solid white.

All bundled up,
We feel as if
We were fat penguins,
Warm and stiff.

The toy-packed shops
Half Split their sides,
And Mother brings home
Things she hides.

Old carols peal.
The dusk is dense.
There is a mood
Of sweet suspense.

The shepherds wait,
The kings, the tree -
All wait for something
Yet to be,

Some miracle,
And then it's here,
Wrapped up in hope -
Another year!

I am thinking of all of you, my fellow bloggers with love and appreciation for all that we have shared the past weeks and months. I cannot imagine life without your support, concern and advice. My Christmas wish for all of us and the world is peace and hope. I love you all and will be thinking of you throughout today.

8 comments:

  1. Greetings...
    Well, this is my 3rd Christmas in this unexpected, unknown journey of Widowhood...
    & truly it get's progressively difficult with each passing day.
    Blessings to you & yours for this diligence in posting !
    Blessings to all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peace, comfort and a cyber hug to you today. I wish I could offer you more. One of my goals in posting is to convey to those who don't have a clue, that grief doesn't magically disappear with the passage of time. Please drop by anytime to vent, talk or just connect with others who know your world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you my friend. I hope that that little ray of hope shines on for you throughout the holidays and throughout 2010 xxx

    and thank YOU for all your support ... there really are no words except thanks, but I know that you know what I am trying to say

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please find peace & joy today. They can come in very small packages, and be easily missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely poem. Thinking of you and wishing you a peaceful Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a long lonely day and once again you brought a bright spot to it. Bless you and yours. Thinking of all of you today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peace to you and to everyone else finding it tough today - thank goodness for the internet bringing us all together :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boo - Yes I know exactly what you mean!

    Dan - Thank you for reminding all of us about not overlooking the little things!

    Thelma - It is a sweet poem. Thank you for your postings and for thinking of me.

    Kelly - I wish it was not a long and lonely day for you. But I am glad that somehow we can all connect and bring one another bright spots here and there. It makes a difference.

    Puddock - I so agree for the goodness in the internet in bringing us all together!

    ReplyDelete