Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Weight of Baggage and Burdens

Today I woke up feeling like I was bearing the weight of the world within my soul. I felt suffocated and had those gasps of fear people with panic attacks must experience. I could feel the insides of my stomach contract and my breathing became fast and frantic. All this grief and loss combined with the fear and stress from trying to get by has compounded to the point of feeling like there is some kind of bomb inside me that is going to explode.

I so wish I did not have to bear all of this pain around me. It is a burden and baggage that will always surround me. I hope someday when life becomes easier that I won't have to carry so much on my shoulders and that I won't feel so much of the weight of the past. But right now the past and present have combined to pretty much overtake my spirit and strength.

I called my family doctor and requested an appointment. I asked them to check for an earlier date when I was told there were no openings until next week and now have one for tomorrow. I'll tell this doctor what is going on and my symptoms and discuss options. I just know for now that the past and present bear too much on my soul and if there is something that can alleviate some of the physical symptoms, that would be a good thing. I am also having difficulty sleeping, only getting a few hours a night and that does not help me during the days.

Both of our cars now need work. My little sedan to the tune of almost $600.00 and the van, $135.00 if it only needs a new battery. I got a loan from the pawn shop today to pay for the van, bringing in my wedding and engagement rings minus the diamond which was sold during my divorce. Never in a thousand years would I have ever believed I'd need to go to a pawn shop, much less go into one on my own and negotiate but I held my head up high and accomplished that today. So despite the awful feelings within and those I carry on my shoulders, in addition to the weight that I feel floats around me, I did do my best to take care of business today. Worked on new resumes, made lunches, got the boys to school, cleaned up, got a referral for my son to get his vision tested, dealt with a credit card company.

I found out that we have vision coverage through Walmart, although it only covers glasses and my son prefers contacts. That means I can finally get a new pair of glasses for myself and will get some kind of reduction for my son's exam with the contacts - that will help!

So I am making it through the days but there is always such effort involved. Last night was the parent meeting for show choir which is $500.00. I had talked to the school about a financial break earlier in the day and then had to come up with a payment plan with the adviser. I was not the only parent to do so. I saw another mom and a dad pick up the financial payment sheet and each converse privately with the adviser. I ended up agreeing to make 6 payments of $75.00 and my son can also help out by selling school related fund raising items during the year.

The show choir is pretty amazing - it reminded me of the choir that is portrayed on the program Glee. My son is the only "jock" athlete of the group, with the majority of the kids being more into the theater, performing arts and dance. I asked my son if he will be comfortable performing for school assemblies and he is fine with it. I hope he is an inspiration to other kids that they can be in more than one type of activity. The athletes tend to only engage in athletic activities, etc. The choir director told me that one of the songs she chose for the group to perform was selected because she wants my son to have a solo in it. So that is a bright spot amidst all this struggle.

The sedan needs a new catalytic converter. It can still be driven but the motor is extremely loud and I am embarrassed. It sounds like I need a new muffler. I was told to keep the windows down while driving because the front pipe is broken near the front of the car and is leaking exhaust into the interior. I picked my youngest up from school and he started laughing about the car and told me that one day I'll look back on this and laugh too. I replied that I really don't think I ever will look back on this period and laugh. It is too difficult with more pain than gain. I'm having trouble staying afloat much less getting ahead or even remaining stable.

Sometimes I wonder if it would have been better to stay with Sam instead of bringing the boys back here to finish high school but I have to stop that train of thought and just go with the fact that that decision was made, what is done is done. We've started my oldest's final year of high school and he is flourishing. So I won't look back and laugh at the hardships we're experiencing now. I do hope I look back and believe the sacrifices were worth it for my sons.

For now, I have to do my best to concentrate on getting through the days and hanging in there. I am hoping that the van can get repaired this week and we'll manage with sharing one vehicle for a month or two and then have the sedan fixed. In the meantime, I am glad I have that doctor appointment tomorrow because at this point, I'll take some extra help if it'll lessen the load of baggage and burdens I'm carrying.

3 comments:

  1. I hope the doctor can give you something to help you feel better. As I've said many times, medication helped me so much.

    Tonight I am going to hear Gail Sheehy speak about caregiving. Her husband died a couple of years ago. I'm sure she also talks about her widowhood. A copy of the book comes with the lecture so I'm looking forward to it.

    A widow from here sent me her book to review on my blog and then I will do an interview with her. The book is called My #1 is Still My #1. Will read it this weekend and review it later next week.

    Please let us know what the doctor has to say. You are always in my thoughts. Thelma
    www.widowsphere.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Medication can help--get some Ambien for a sleep aid--it is marvelous for me. Every time I read your posts it reminds me of the same kind of years I lived through after the divorce. I still remember how hard they were and honestly, I don't know how I made it through. I DO remember taking in all my old gold jewelry and selling it to get my daughter her prom dress. It was worth it, I didn't wear it too much anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Thelma. Keep me posted about the two books you will be reading/reviewing and I'll let you know from this end.

    Judy - Thank you for sharing about your experiences. I'm not wearing any of the jewelry either but still feel bad that it is all going. I wear no jewelry now. It is kind of sad. I seem to be ending up with little from my old life. My boys have Homecoming in a couple weeks and I'm praying we can work everything out. My oldest is willing to get a secondhand suit from Goodwill. I am going to ask for a discount for the girls' flowers. My youngest has a few dollars from his job and my oldest is willing to part with some of his electric guitars and amps he no longer plays to help pay for the dance tickets, dinner, etc. I told my oldest that his girlfriend may have to help pay for the dance and she does have a job. Such is life.

    ReplyDelete