Thursday, August 12, 2010

Dog Days of Summer

It has been very hot here the past week as it has been across the country. There is a heat advisory until tomorrow night for Chicago. I grumble and am cranky in this weather. My hair gets frizzy, my face is shiny and I feel cooped up because it is too hot for much outdoor activity. Then I get upset that I have to run the air conditioner so much and I worry about next month's electric bill.

In the winter I curse the snowstorms and cold. It seems as though the weather is always unstable. There is never a calm period of a week or two of weather that is pleasant, clear and without excessive humidity or freezing below zero temps.

The weather extremes seem to echo my own life. I just want a period of relative calm where I can "recover" a bit from all the chaos that we've been living through. Just a week is all I ask. But there always seems to be something that comes up - emergencies with car reparis or financial setbacks. I'm begging for an opportunity to go to bed without fretting and to wake up without dread in my heart.

Maybe some people crave excitement and the energy and high that comes from the unknown. But give me the safe, stable and predictable. That is when I shine and grow. They say change forces you to become stronger, to expand beyond your boundaries. But I've come to find that I'm more likely to take risks and chances when the rest of my world is mundane and ordinary. When my world is out of control, I just want to retreat within and huddle inside - I become afraid to venture out and become lethargic and unmotivated. I suppose my depression and lack of motivation are ways to counteract the chaos I feel raging around my life. I am so afraid to leap out into the tornado of life, I slunk back into my burrow.

Dealing with the extremes and the out-of-the-ordinary take excess effort and I'm fatigued. I don't have the energy to start facing the world with a smile on my face and spring in my step when I've been trying to slay the dragons of figuring out how to feed my family with nothing left in the bank and juggling bills to fix the van. I need to revive myself and that sometimes comes about naturally with just a period without radical ups and downs. Maybe the cool front coming in over the weekend will be the start of that restoration.

4 comments:

  1. I have a hard time dealing with anything when it is so hot and humid. Weather really effects my mood. We may get a respite from the high electricty bills this fall. Then of course, the running AC will be turned off and the running furnace will be turned on. Seems money flying out never ends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted you to know that you are not alone in what you have been blogging about.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jude - Thank you for reading and commenting. I agree with you that weather can influence my moods and reactions. In hot weather I too just feel like retreating and hiding out in a cool, dark cave. You have been so busy working on your Christmas cross stitch tree skirt which is amazing. I need to focus on a project to keep my mind off the weather like you have with your wonderful crafting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth - Thanks for your comment - it means a lot and I am going to continue to set these feelings out figuring I can't be the only one out there struggling with them. Hope your summer is going well.

    ReplyDelete