Monday, March 23, 2009

Foreclosure

This morning I was served with the house foreclosure papers from the mortgage lender. This was before 7:00 a.m. and I was taking out the garbage/recycling and my son's friend was waiting to park his car in our driveway before school. The guy who served me was nice - he wished me good luck and I had the impression that he has been doing a lot of these over the last months.

I have been unable to talk to my real estate attorney (of course) and left messages for both he and his secretary. There have been a few tears shed and I called the boy's school to find out if they can still attend if we have to live with friends in another school district (I was told yes because we will be considered homeless). I asked the school secretary if she is dealing with other families like ours and she said yes and fears it is only going to get worse in the months ahead.

So where is a book or guide I can get that tells me how to face crisis on my own and get through this? I feel like a victim a little similar to those who lost homes in Hurricane Katrina. How did those poor people who lost everything pick up the pieces and start over? How did they keep their sanity for their children in the days of uncertainty and unrest?

It is a good thing we have no food in the house (especially junk food) because there is no telling how much I'd go through right now. I just spent my last $4.00 at the grocery store buying cheese, bread, a can of cat food and a generic bottle of soda to go with dinner. I still have not received my divorce settlement check and the divorce attorney did not call back today with the status of that payment - I left her a message last night. I am afraid our cell phones will be cut off later tonight for lack of payment.

I can only hope that tomorrow I will receive some word from my two attorneys - until then it is very unsettling and difficult to even go through the motions, which I am still managing to do.

Today I am grateful:

1. For managing to go through the motions (continue to work on the house, confer with friends, make lunches, go to the store, drop off donations at the Goodwill).
2. For my younger son's comment this morning after receiving the foreclosure papers - "It's not the end of the world."
3. That I am still focused and thinking of the boys who have faced so much already and don't deserve this new challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment